Updated: Oct 29, 2018
Want to help your employees grow as company brand ambassadors?
Help them create a profile to get started.
LinkedIn is an incredible platform to showcase your company to the world, and encouraging your employees to be active on the world's largest professional network can help you make great strides in spreading brand awareness.
But where to begin? Below is a step-by-step guide you can share with your employees to help them create a profile from scratch.
1. First, go to LinkedIn.com. It will open to a page with several text fields in the middle of it. Next, it’s time in provide your basic contact information and set up an account.
Company tip: Since LinkedIn is a professional network, it's best to encourage employees to use their work email address. They can always change it if they happen to leave the company.
2. Complete the security check and provide some additional data, like country and zip code.
3. The next section pertains to your current pursuits. Type in your job title and the relevant company at which you work. Depending on your place of employment, you may also have to select a field from an "Industry" box on this page. If you're a student, you have the option to indicate the institution, when you started there and the anticipated graduation date.
Company tip: Make sure employees know to choose your company from the dropdown menu for "Most recent company." If you have a company page (and you should!), this will create a link from their profile page to your company page.
4. Follow the steps to confirm your email.
5. Build and grow your network. This is the time to decide whether or not to import contacts from your email address book. If you want to import contacts from your email address, click Continue. Otherwise, you can opt out by selecting “Skip.” You should know that choosing the former option means you are granting LinkedIn access to your email account. If you click “Skip,” you may need to click a pop-up “Yes” to confirm your decision.
6. Once you have gone through the basics of setup, it’s time to curate your LinkedIn presence. Start by uploading a professional headshot. To do so, click the “Upload Photo” box and select a photo from your computer.
Company tip: Professional headshots are preferred, not selfies with pets or kids. Help your employees by hiring a professional photographer to help with this.
7. If you'd like to download the app, this is where you can do that.
8. Improve your newsfeed by customizing the type of content you are interested in.
And the profile is created! Stay tuned for future posts on helping your employees write their headline and summary, complete their Experience section, and make valuable connections.